Baseball is back in The Bend.
Four Winds Field is home to the South Bend Cubs, a high-Class A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. Visiting Four Winds Field — voted previously by Ballpark Digest as one of the best minor league ballparks in the country and host of the 2019 Midwest League All-Star Game — gives fans a chance to watch up-and-coming players and enjoy the atmosphere.
Here’s a comprehensive guide of what you can expect at the ballpark.
What’s minor league baseball without fun promotions? You can find one every day there’s a home game.
Here is the weekly promotions schedule:
- Triple Play Tuesday: This combo includes a game ticket, jumbo hot dog and 16 oz. fountain soda for just $12. The package must be purchased in advance. Since Monday is now a designated off day for the Midwest League, Dog Day Monday is now Tail Wagging Tuesday. Fans can bring their dog to the park. Owners must sign a waiver prior to entry.
- Giveaway Wednesday: The first 1,000 fans through the gates receive a special South Bend Cubs promotional item. Many items this year will celebrate the 2019 Midwest League Championship since there was no season in 2020. This promotion won’t be happening June 9 or Aug. 4.
- Thirsty Thursday: $2 sodas and domestic draft beer all game long.
- Fantastic Friday Fireworks: A spectacular firework show after the game is planned for 10 Fridays. There will also be firework shows on May 4, May 30, June 9, Aug. 4 and Sept. 5.
- Flat Screen Saturday: Fans 18 and over can enter to win a new 50-inch flat screen TV every inning. Must be present to win. Registration tables are located next to the Toyota Fun Zone in left field.
- Sundae FUNday: The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receiver a special giveaway and you can play catch on the field after the game. This promotion won’t happen May 30 or Sept. 5.
Kid Friendly Fun
Four Winds Field is part baseball diamond and part playground.
Kids need not stay in their seats. Instead they can explore the ballpark, starting with the Toyota Fun Zone. Two three-story slides, five bounce houses and an obstacle course await just beyond the left field foul pole. On the other side of the park, kids can cool down on a hot summer night at the splash park. In between there are speed pitch and Plinko stations.
Ballplayers of all ages can also take some hacks at the 1st Source Bank Performance Center, an indoor practice facility for South Bend Cubs players that’s open during home games. Six full-size, regulation cages offer baseball and softball practice opportunities.
If you’re a regular visitor or a local, the South Bend Cubs Kids Club is a great way to take advantage of the kids areas on a regular basis. Membership is open to children 12 and under. They get a free ticket to 10 regular season games, a membership badge, some Fun Zone wristbands and several other perks.
Theme Nights and Special Giveaways
On top of regular promotions, there are several special theme nights and giveaways planned throughout the season. A replica of the 2019 Midwest League Championship ring will be given away May 19 to the first 1,000 ticketed fans through the gates.
Other giveaways include a championship fleece blanket (May 9), replica championship flag (May 23 and July 7), a replica Midwest League trophy (May 26) and a championship team canvas print (June 27).
The bobblehead giveaway this season will be Aug. 18 and feature the likeness of former Cub Ben Zobrist, who played three games in South Bend in 2019.
Bites at the Ballpark
Tantalize your taste buds with more than a standard ballpark hot dog or nachos. Four Winds Field changes up the menu yearly to show off its culinary chops.
Some (tasty) changes are ahead in 2021: Fried cauliflower is in and spotlight items include Philly Steak Nachos, loaded tater tots and pork tenderloin. Fresh squeezed lemonade is slated to return in June.
You can pull up a chair and grab a drink at the Tiki Hut bar in left field or visit one of the many concession stands and head back to your seat. Whatever works best, you’re sure to find a good meal at the ballpark.
Take a Swing at the Performance Center
Sometimes watching just isn’t enough. That’s where the 1st Source Bank Performance Center comes in handy.
Open during home games, the performance center boasts 17,000 square feet with six full-size batting cages. Multiple machines accommodate baseball, fast-pitch softball and slow-pitch softball. One even offers up fastballs in the 85 mile-per-hour range, which means facing pitches at professional speeds. Helmets, bats and balls are all provided on site. This state-of-the-art space is a great place to test your skills or let the baseball player in your family get in some hacks.