The Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival (NDSF) was born from an experimental course in 1989 at the University of Notre Dame called “Shakespeare-in-Performance” which was created by Dr. Paul Rathburn. As a part of Shakespeare at Notre Dame, the NDSF began producing theatrical events in 2000 and has grown in size every year since then. Each year the festival includes a professionally mounted Professional Company production, traveling performances by the Touring Company, the community-oriented ShakeScenes program, and numerous special events including guest artists, lectures and presentations.
The Professional Company is made up of professional actors from all over the country, the Touring Company, and a handful of community actors who put on a main stage performance every year at the Debartolo Performing Arts Center.
The Touring Company is comprised of gifted University of Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College students. These students who are accepted into the Young Company are trained in the practical arts of theatrical production and are able to work alongside of world renowned professionals of theater.
ShakeScenes is community-focused and will certainly “shake” things up when you think of Shakespeare. It was created to allow South Bend area actors and directors the opportunity to perform classical plays on the stage while having a little fun as well. These free 20 fast and fun ten-minute performances take on Shakespeare’s greatest hits. The actors take to the stage with their own unique spins on some of Shakespeare’s most beloved works, even if that means Romeo and Juliet first met over Facebook.
Performance Dates and Times
Much Ado About Nothing – Performed by the NDSF Professional Company***
– Tuesday, August 15 | 7:30pm
– Wednesday, August 16 | 7:30pm
– Thursday, August 17 | 7:30pm (season gala)
– Friday, August 18 | 7:30pm
– Saturday, August 19 | 2:00pm and 7:30pm
– Sunday, August 20 | 2:00pm
– Tuesday, August 22 | 7:30pm
– Wednesday, August 23 | 7:30pm
– Thursday, August 24 | 7:30pm
– Friday, August 25 | 7:30pm
– Saturday, August 26 | 2:00pm and 7:30pm
– Sunday, August 27 | 2:00pm
*** All performances to be held in the Patricia George Decio Theatre of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center
Twelfth Night – Performed by the NDSF Touring Company
– Sunday, July 16 | 6:00pm (CDT) | Taltree Arboretum & Gardens | Valparaiso, IN
– Friday, July 21 | 7:00pm | Mishawaka Summer Concert Series | Beutter Park, Mishawaka, IN
– Saturday, July 22 | 7:00pm | Chris Wilson Pavilion | Potawatomi Park, South Bend, IN
– Sunday, July 23 | 7;00pm | Encore Performing Arts | Plymouth, IN
– Friday, July 28 | 7:00pm | Shakespeare in the Streets | Fremont Park, South Bend, IN
– Saturday, July 29 | 7:00pm | Krasl Art Center | St. Joseph, MI
– Sunday, July 30 | 7:00pm | Goshen Theater | Goshen, IN
– Friday, Aug 4 | 7:00pm | Fernwood Botanical Garden | Niles, MI
– Saturday, Aug 5 | 6:30pm | Dewey Cannon Park | Three Oaks, MI
– Sunday, Aug 6 | 6:30pm | Wellfield Botanic Gardens | 1011 N Main St, Elkhart, IN
– Monday, Aug 21 | 6:30pm | Main Building Quad: Notre Dame Campus | Notre Dame, IN
ShakeScenes – Performed by the NDSF Community Company***
– Friday, July 14 | 9:00pm | LangLab
– Saturday, July 15 | 2:00pm | Washington Hall
Be sure to reserve your seat(s) for the 2017 Notre Dame Shakespeare Festival today!