Flying into The Bend comes with certain perks.
South Bend International Airport (SBN) boasts the amenities of a larger airport with the benefit of catering to fewer travelers than a metropolitan hub. It’s quicker. It’s easier. And one connection can get you anywhere else in the country.
Nonstop Flights Around the Country
Four airlines – Allegiant, American, Delta and United – operate at South Bend International, offering nonstop flights to 13 destinations across the country.
Allegiant flies nonstop to Las Vegas (LAS), Orlando/Sanford (SFB), Phoenix/Mesa (AZA), Fort Myers/Punta Gorda (PGD), Sarasota/Bradenton (SRQ) Tampa/St Petersburg (PIE). Delta goes direct to Atlanta (ATL), Detroit (DTW) and Minneapolis (MSP).
RELATED CONTENT: Check out flights and arrival/departure times at flysbn.com
Want to visit for a Notre Dame football game from the East Coast? United flies nonstop from New York City/Newark (EWR) seasonally and Chicago (ORD) year round.
American Airlines offers nonstop flights to two cities: Charlotte (CLT) and Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW).
It’s simple: While air travel presents plenty of headaches, South Bend International makes life a little easier.
The airport offers TSA Pre-Check. Even without that, it’s recommended that travelers arrive no more than 90 minutes before their flight. You’ll breeze through check-in and security. That leaves plenty of time to grab a bite to eat before your flight or connect to the free Wi-Fi and check e-mails.
South Bend International is also the only airport in the United States to offer air, interstate rail (via the South Shore Line train into Chicago) and bus service all in the same location.
Grab a Pre-Flight Bite
Bar Fly and a South Bend Chocolate Café are located beyond the security checkpoint in Concourse A with fresh food and craft brews. There’s another Bar Fly before security along with Studebagels and The Pop Stop, where you can create your own popcorn.
5 Must-Dos in The Bend
So, you’ve hit the ground after a quick and convenient flight. Now what?
South Bend International is located just 10 minutes from downtown South Bend and 20 minutes from the bustling Mishawaka retail district. Check out these five must-dos for your next visit to The Bend.
- The University of Notre Dame is 10 minutes from South Bend International Airport, making it the best choice for Notre Dame students and fans alike. Tour the picturesque campus and experience Notre Dame football during the fall. And while you are visiting, stay the night on campus with the only AAA Four Diamond hotel in Northern Indiana, the Morris Inn.
- The East Race Waterway was the first man-made white water course in North America when it opened. Dare to raft your way through the East Race and prove you can handle this 2,000-foot-long waterway generating waves six feet or higher.
- The South Bend Chocolate Company offers factory tours showcasing the history of chocolate, plus samples to please your taste buds! South Bend Chocolate Company sweets can be found in the airport as well.
- Check out the Studebaker National Museum to travel through over 150 years of transportation history. The museum houses the largest collection of U.S. presidential carriages, including the one that carried Abraham Lincoln the night of his assassination. This museum aims to “keep the flame of the Studebaker tradition alive and burning for generations to come.”
- Head to Four Winds Field and root for the South Bend Cubs. The South Bend Cubs are a Class-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. Don’t like baseball? Their homerun-worthy fan food is reason enough to slide in for a game.