Downtown South Bend hosts “First Fridays” on the first Friday of each month all year. Residents and visitors alike fill the streets for live music, movies and other entertainment.
It’s a great time to explore South Bend for activities and artist receptions. Often there are special one-night promotions at different shops, museums and restaurants. First Fridays are fun, family-friendly and free (or at a reduced admission rate). Each First Friday has a special theme, so be on the lookout for what’s coming next.
Keep scrolling for details on the upcoming First Fridays.
September 7 — Dog Days of Summer
Bring the dog in your life to downtown South Bend for this special event. Local rescue groups and animal organizations will have booths set up on Michigan Street and at Studebaker Plaza. Keep an eye out for a dog fashion show and a dog agility demonstration. This is a great time to grab dinner at one of the many dog-friendly patios around The Bend. Here’s a list of some in downtown South Bend:
- Bruno’s Pizza – 131 S. Michigan St.
- Chicory Cafe – 105 E. Jefferson Blvd.
- Fiddler’s Hearth – 127 N. Main St.
- Peggs – 127 S. Michigan St.
- South Bend Brew Werks – 216 S. Michigan St.
- South Bend Chocolate Cafe – 122 S. Michigan St.
- Tapastrie – 103 W. Colfax Ave.
- Vegetable Buddies – 129 N. Michigan St.
October 5 — Fall In Love With Downtown
Celebrate autumn in downtown South Bend with several fall-themed activities. Here’s a partial list of what’s in store:
- Purple Porch Co-Op is hstoing its third annual Oktoberfest celebration with a beer garden and German Band.
- South Bend Chocolate Cafe will hold their annual Pumpkin Palooza pumpkin carving event. There will also be a canned food drive.
- Dream Coach Carriages will be offering hay rides.
- Youth Service Bureau of St. Joseph County will have their annual “Over the Edge” fundraising event, where community members raise money for a chance to rappel off the Jefferson Center building.
November 2 — Taste of the Town
Restaurants will offer small plates at small prices (flavor stops), plus there’s a chili cook off planned.
December 7 — Downtown for the Holidays
Santa makes his grand arrival in downtown. Enjoy a tree lighting ceremony, fireworks and the opening of Santa’s workshop.