5 Fun Outdoor Winter Activities
Winter time has arrived in the South Bend area. While the snowflakes are falling and the temperature continues to dip, you can still enjoy the outdoors and have some winter fun. Be sure to zip up your coat and grab some hand warmers for these five fun outdoor winter activities in the South Bend area.
- Enjoy Free Ice Skating at the Mall: After you have done a bit of shopping at the University Park Mall in Mishawaka, make your way to the southeast corner of the parking lot for the mall’s free ice skating rink. You may bring your own skates or rent a pair for free. There is music, refreshments, and plenty of ice to go skating on with friends and family. The rink will be open through January 22.
- Go Innertubing: Although snow may make driving a little more difficult, it can also make for some great winter activities as well, including innertubing. At the St. Patrick’s County Park and the Ferrettie/Baugo Creek County Park, you can ride down some great innertubing hills. Innertubes are provided and there are supervisors on location to ensure a safe and fun time. A small entrance fee plus $3 per person is required. You can go innertubing through March 5 (Dec. 26 – Jan. 8 daily; Jan. 14 – March 5 weekends only) from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Take a Hike with Snow Shoes: When it is warm out, many people love to go for a hike through our county parks to enjoy the summer sights and sounds. Snow shoeing is a great way to enjoy the winter sights and sounds in the Ferrettie/Baugo Creek County Park. You can go snow shoeing through March 5 (Dec. 26 – Jan. 8 daily; Jan. 14 – March 5 weekends only) from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm for a small entrance fee plus $3 per person.
- Have a Snowball Fight: Snow is beautiful to look at, but it is also fun to play with. Start forming snowballs now for an epic snowball fight. You can have one in the area parks or even on one of the five college campuses in the area, including the University of Notre Dame.
- Skiing Under the Stars: On January 6, January 20, and February 3, take the family out to St. Patrick’s County Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm for an evening of cross country skiing under the stars. At the Manion Cabin you can have some homemade cookies and a cup of water, coffee or hot chocolate to help revive you for the return journey. Ski rentals only cost $10.
For more details on these and other great events and activities in the South Bend area, check out the EVENTS CALENDAR.