Winter time has arrived in the South Bend area. While the snowflakes are falling and the temperature continues to dip, you can still enjoy the outdoors and have some winter fun. Be sure to zip up your coat and grab some hand warmers for these five fun outdoor winter activities in the South Bend area.
- Enjoy Ice Skating at Merrifield Park: Lace up your ice skates because it is time to go skating at Merrifield Park. The Merrifield Ice Rink is open Tuesdays (4:00-8:00pm), Fridays (3:00-8:00pm), Saturdays, and Sundays (12:00-4:00pm; 4:30-9:00pm). Skate rentals are only $2 and admission fees are $3 for youth, $4 for adults, and $3.50 for seniors. There are even special themed nights throughout the winter, including a New Year’s Eve Celebration on December 31, a DJ Night on January 5, a Cartoon Skate on February 3, and many more.
- Go Innertubing: Although snow may make driving a little more difficult, it can also make for some great winter activities as well, including innertubing. At the St. Patrick’s County Park and the Ferrettie/Baugo Creek County Park, you can ride down some great innertubing hills. Innertubes are provided and there are supervisors on location to ensure a safe and fun time. A small entrance fee plus $4 per person is required. You can go innertubing through March 4 (Dec. 26 – Jan. 7 daily; Jan. 13 – March 4 weekends only) from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- Take a Hike with Snow Shoes: When it is warm out, many people love to go for a hike through our county parks to enjoy the summer sights and sounds. Snow shoeing is a great way to enjoy the winter sights and sounds in the Ferrettie/Baugo Creek County Park. You can go snow shoeing through March 4 (Dec. 26 – Jan. 7 daily; Jan. 13 – March 4 weekends only) from 11:00 am – 4:00 pm for a small entrance fee plus $4 per person.
- Have a Snowball Fight: Snow is beautiful to look at, but it is also fun to play with. Start forming snowballs now for an epic snowball fight. You can have one in the area parks or even on one of the five college campuses in the area, including the University of Notre Dame.
- Skiing Under the Stars: On January 5, January 19, and February 2, take the family out to St. Patrick’s County Park from 6:00 – 9:00 pm for an evening of cross country skiing under the stars. At the Manion Cabin you can have some homemade cookies and a cup of water, coffee or hot chocolate to help revive you for the return journey. Ski rentals only cost $10.
For more details on these and other great events and activities in the South Bend area, check out the EVENTS CALENDAR.