10 Free Fall Outdoor Activities
The fall season has arrived in South Bend Mishawaka. It is time to put away the beach chairs, pack up the swimsuits, and dust off your favorite flannel shirt and windbreaker. While the temperature is cooling off, there are still plenty of opportunities to enjoy the outdoors before the cold winter months arrive to town. Here are ten outdoor activities that will not cost you a penny.
- Go For a Hike: What better way to experience the beauty of the fall season than to go out on many of the many trails located in our area parks? Check out the different places to go hiking in South Bend.
- Enjoy the South Bend River Lights: Check out one of the newest attractions in South Bend. This interactive light display illuminates the St. Joseph River in downtown South Bend based on your movements. Best of all, it’s free!
- Walk the River Walk: Whether you are in South Bend or Mishawaka, you have the opportunity to take a walk on the River Walk along the St. Joseph River where you get gorgeous views of downtown South Bend and Mishawaka.
- Enjoy the Leeper Park Playground: Take your kids to Leeper Park to “monkey around” on the monkey bars, slide down the slide, or take turns pushing each other on the tire swings.
- Stroll Through the Shiojiri Niwa Japanese Garden: This Japanese strolling garden features more than twenty different varieties of large plants and their famous Garden Bridge which is a symbolic link between this world and paradise.
- Take a Bike Ride Around the Town: This fall weather makes for perfect biking weather. Grab your bicycle and experience the South Bend Mishawaka area. Ride through Notre Dame’s campus or even one of the parks in the area.
- Experience Football Festivities: If you don’t have a ticket to a Notre Dame Football home game, don’t worry. There are several different “football festivities” happening on campus that are free, including the pep rally and Trumpets in the Dome.
- Free Public Hayrides: Head out to the Bendix Woods County Park playground for a free hayride Sunday, October 16 and 30 from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm (weather permitting).
- Go For a Picnic: Make your favorite sandwiches, pack away a blanket and enjoy a nice picnic lunch with friends and family at one of the parks with beautiful sights of fall in South Bend or Mishawaka.
- Pick Up the Football: The fall and football season go hand in hand so be sure to grab your friends and family to play a game of two-hand touch football at the parks, on campus, or even at The Gridiron in downtown South Bend.